Monday 13 January 2014

That phone addiction

In the true spirit of "new year, new me," I have subjugated thyself to a complete rehabilitation and the restoration of my independence from the addictive hypnosis of 'The Smartphone.' In hindsight, I can not help but regret my impetuous decision. The brutality of  such a sudden separation is unmatched, and though one has never had the misfortune of being subject to a narcotics dependency, one would argue that the pain and complete helplessness of not having that communication portal close at hand must surely be the same. Smart phones are fast becoming the new method of escapism from the drudgery of reality. At the touch of a few buttons, one can manipulate their hand held device into doing almost anything. Despair does not readily describe my  woeful situation and I can not help but engage in euphoric daydreams of a day when I shall at long last be reunited with my Samsung galaxy s4 mini. It is not just a phone for me, but a way of life and though such an admission possibly makes me seem like an awkward social pariah, it is nevertheless entirely true. I find myself reaching for the none existent device as an impetuous reflex to an awkward social situation, or a sudden lull in conversation. It is only as my hand reaches the achingly empty mobile telephone capsule aka pocket, that I remember - I gave up my phone and I can not for the next five/six months seek solace in the intellectually challenging adventure world of Candy Crush. I blame my irrational decision on serve intoxication and a general malfunction in brain capabilities, I would love to claim that I was coerced into the decision, however, it seems to have been my own foolish decision that has lead to this regrettable turn of events.
Despite my general anguish at this estrangement from what has become almost an extension of my person, I recognise the positive effects the withdrawal has had. Not only do I now suddenly appear to have hours more of free time, but relationships with my siblings and my family as a whole have seen an improvement. No longer do I remain oblivious to their existence as I rapidly gossip to my companions, but instead I have been forced to endure through a myriad amount of family discussions and such like and most surprisingly, I have come to the realisation that the absence of my presence from social networking will not cause the Armageddon I had mistakenly believed.

No comments:

Post a Comment